Uganda WASH Media Awards 2017
CALL FOR ENTRIES
SCOPE AND OBJECTIVES
The Uganda WASH Media Awards (UWMA)is a public private partnership initiated by development partners together with the Ministry of Water and Environment, to reward excellent reporting on Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) services towards achieving the national development plan of poverty alleviation through access to safe water and improved standards of sanitation and hygiene for all (Vision 2040).
The Uganda WASH Media Awards are a deliberate effort to promote coverageof WASH issues in the local, national and internationalmedia and have a positive influence on decision-makers,the private sector, the civil society as well as individuals andhouseholds. The Awards will also build and maintain strongrelations with the media thus bridging information gap toits citizenry.A key expected outcome of the initiative is a rejuvenated,coordinated and triggered media fraternity that promotessocial dialogue between members of the media andcivil society towards communicating Government sectorprograms.
The inaugural Uganda WASH Media Awards were launched last year at Hotel Africana. TheGala was held at Sheraton Kampala Hotel were a total of seven (07) Journalists were awarded for their work with prestigious accolades and cash prizes.
This year will be the second (2ndedition of the Uganda WASH Media Awards and is open to all practising journalists as well as freelancers in the mainstream and multi-media in Uganda. The Awards are intended to:
Recognise and reward excellence in reporting water, sanitation and hygieneissues in Uganda.
- Promote investigative journalism and accuracy as well as creativity and innovation in presenting information about water, sanitation and hygiene.
- To foster and promote public-private-partnership and collaborationin developing sustainable water, sanitation and hygiene service delivery.
The Uganda WASH Media Awards 2017will be given to excellent reporting in 8categories. Focus will be on journalists who write or broadcast original investigative reports on WASH issues. The WASH Media Awards will recognise and reward those journalists who deliberately and proactively promote public awareness of water, sanitation and hygiene, and their related development issues a priority.
Special Honorary awards will be dedicated to media institutions for outstanding work in water, sanitation and hygiene evidenced by overall publicity given to WASH.Acceptable entries should have run or been published in Ugandan media (mainstream or online) between 11 Sep2016 and September11, 2017 Group stories shall be accepted and rewarded as one entry.
Categories to be awarded
- Print: news feature,
- Print: investigative hard news,
- Print: Graphic illustration – may be photograph or cartoon
- Television story: documentary/feature or investigative hard news
- Television drama or sitcom
- Radio programme: radio talk shows or investigative features ((MUST be authentic and non-sponsored programs)
- Radio drama (MUST be authentic and non-sponsored programs)
- Online and social media category: May be features/ photo stories/ new stories/ blogs (Must be exclusively published online not a repeat of previous print, TV or radio)
- Special media recognition (2): Outstanding work demonstrated by overall proactive publicity given to water, sanitation and hygiene. Winners of this award will be the media institutions that go out of their way despite the limited resources to ensure maximum promotion of WASH in their platforms.
Guidelines for submissions
- Entries must be clearly markedwith name, media House, email address and phone number of entrant.
- Proof of publication/airing: Entrants must show proof that their submissions were aired or published within the period specified. Electronic stories should have a date and time stamp as well as the television/radio logo visible. For print entries, the name and date of the publication should be visible.
- Non-English entries are allowed
- Electronic entries should not exceed 5 minutes per item and must include a short script summarizing the submitted content. Electronic submissions should be on VCD, DVD or audio CD.
- A journalist may submit only one story per category, and not exceeding three categories.
- Online and social media category entries should be printed out in hard copy and clearly indicate the web address and date when the article was published.
The judging process
An independent, expert panel of 5 members has been constituted to select winning entries based on accuracy, originality, public benefit, clarity and interpretation, audience engagement, innovation, flair, writing, style and creativity.
Winning entries for the awards are selected by the panel to uphold our commitment to fairness and merit-based achievement. This ensures each entry is accorded equal chance of winning an award.
Nominated top 3 in each category will receive media mention and will be invited to the Awards Gala Dinner to be held on 6th October 2017 in Kampala. The Winner in each category will receivea competitive cash prize, a commemorative plaque and a certificate,while the first runners up will receive cash prize and certificate.
Key dates for the 2017 Awards
Entries Open: 11th Sep 2016 to 11thSeptember 2017
Entries Close:11th September1700hrs EAT
Awards gala: 6th Oct 2017
The deadline for submission of entries is September11, 2017, 1700hrs EAT. Any submissions beyond that date shall not be accepted. Entries should be clearly labeled “WASH Media Awards 2017” can be posted or physically delivered to:
Ministry of Water and Environment
You can also obtain more information on the Uganda WASH Awards Website
Submit your entries to UWASNET Regional Coordination Offices. See the link below for applicable Districts and contact detailshttp://www.uwasnet.org/Elgg/ or call +256414223135