Uganda WASH Media Awards 2017
CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS
The second edition of the annual Uganda WASH Media Awards (UWMA) is now open for submissions!
Established in September 2015, the Uganda WASH Media Awards campaign was borne out of coordinated efforts by development partners in partnership with the Ministry of Water and Environment, to reward excellent reporting on Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) in Uganda.
The purpose of the UWMA is to promote coverage of WASH issues and ultimately influence policy and practice for improved WASH service delivery for citizens, as well as attract investment in WASH for national development.The first UWMA campaign was concluded at an elaborate Awards Gala on October 07, 2016 at Kampala, with 15 journalists awarded with prestigious accolades, cash prizes and certificates.
Submissions for the 2017 UWMA should be sent under the following categories:
- Print: human interest feature story
- Print: investigative hard news
- Multimedia including visual, data journalism and photo journalism
- Television story: feature, documentary series or investigative news series
- Radio investigative features including documentary series
- Online category: May be features/ photo stories/ new stories/ blogs (Must have been exclusively published online not a repeat of previous print, TV or radio)
The Uganda WASH Media Awards 2017 will be given to journalists who have published originalreports that deliberately and proactively promote public awareness of water, sanitation and hygiene, and their related development issues in any recognised media in Uganda. Entries should have been published or aired in Ugandan media (mainstream or online) between September 2016 and September 15, 2017. Group stories shall be accepted and rewarded as singleentries.
Guidelines for submissions
- Entries must be clearly markedwith entrant’s name, media House, email address and phone number of entrant.
- Proof of publication/airing: Entrants must show proof that their submissions were aired or published within the period specified. Electronic stories should have a date and time stamp as well as the television/radio logo visible. For print entries, the name and date of the publication should be visible.
- Non-English entries are allowed. Translation to English may also be submitted
- Electronic entries should not exceed 5 minutes per item and must include a short script summarizing the submitted content. Electronic submissions should be on VCD, DVD or audio CD.
- A journalist may submit only one story per category, and not exceeding 2 categories.
- Online and social media category entries should be printed out in hard copy and clearly indicate the web address and date when the article was published.
The judging process
An independent, expert panel of 5 members has been constituted to select winning entries based on accuracy, originality, public benefit, clarity and interpretation, audience engagement, innovation, flair, writing, style and creativity.
Winning entries for the awards are selected by the panel to uphold our commitment to fairness and merit-based achievement. This ensures each entry is accorded equal chance of winning an award.
Nominated top 3 in each category will receive media mention and will be invited to the Awards Gala Dinner to be held on 6th October 2017 in Kampala. The winner in each category will receivea competitive cash prize, a commemorative plaque and a certificate,while the first runners up will receiveprizes and a certificate.
Key dates for 2017UWM Awards
Entries Open: June 15, 2017
Entries Close:September 15, 2017
Awards gala: October 06, 2017
The deadline for submission of entries is September15, 2017 1700hrs EAT beyond which time no more shall be accepted.
Entries clearly labeled “WASH Media Awards 2017” can be emailed, posted or physically delivered to:
Ministry of Water and Environment
Office of Sanitation Coordinator¸
Rural Water Supply and Sanitation Department
Directorate of Water Development
P.O.BOX 20026 Kampala
Up-country entrants: Submit your entries to UWASNET Regional Coordination Offices. See the link below for applicable Districts and contact details http://www.uwasnet.org/Elgg/ or call +256414223135
About Uganda WASH Media Awards
Uganda WASH Media Awards (UWMA) is an initiative championed by the Ministry of Water and Environment, and coordinated in coalition with WASH NGOs in Uganda including Uganda Water and Sanitation NGO Network, WaterAid, IRC, SNV, Water for People, UNICEF, the National Hand Washing Initiative and Water Missions.
The first UWMA 2016 gala was proudly supported by parastatal agencies and private organisations including National Water and Sewerage Corporation, Kampala City Council Authority, Housing Finance Bank Uganda, Crestanks Limited and Nile Breweries Ltd.
To partner with us, contact us on firstname.lastname@example.org
More information on the Uganda WASH Media Awards can be found onwww.washmediaawards.com